Wednesday 27 February 2013

Where is the indifference?

                                                    
Warning : This post might offend some of us here. Yet, this is more of a rambling than a reproach. 

All through my childhood, I was told how indifferent and selfish my generation is/was. We do not respect the "elders", we think of ourselves first and we do not bother maintaining relationships. To give myself credit, I believed so too. I always thought the older people around me did not get the respect and love they deserved. Truly, I did. I even volunteered at an old-age home to alleviate the feelings of guilt I felt for my entire generation. 

It has been a decade since. I have been married for quite a few years,I do not want to mention how many for fear of triggering off another impertinent question : " When do you plan to have kids?". Anyway, I digress. Over these years, I am afraid not one uncle or aunt of mine has visited me. My husband's family is worse. He has an aunt who lives practically next-door and she does not even call. We do our bit, maybe not the " best" : We visit family on festivals ; we try to squeeze as much time as we can on short visits to our home towns to meet everyone. I must add that we do not do this out of some sense of duty, but because we really care and want to see 'our' people. I am truly ashamed to say, the only people who really return our favors are friends. Never someone from the family. Just once, we had someone over with their two daughters, and I was over the moon. I might not make the perfect meal or set out a picture perfect guest bedroom, but I enjoy entertaining. I know relatives who drop in and out of Bangalore often, but NEVER visit. Where is this love, that they often speak of? How can I still believe in the old wives' tale (that's what you call incredible stories, isn't it?)That the older generation truly valued family? 

When we put these questions to them, they often reply " Oh, but you are so busy! " 
Perhaps. But when I think of it, if I had to see a favourite niece or nephew, I would do it. Even if they were busy. I always drop in to say a simple hello. that does not take a lot of time, does it? I will not stay the night but I would definitely ask for a cup of tea. I deserve that much, for my love. So, do these people mean to say that I would not extend the simplest courtesy of a glass of water or a cup of coffee, just because I am busy? 

If that is the case, then they'd rather not visit. Thank you very much. 



No comments:

Post a Comment